I've been neglecting tofu lately, I have to admit. But these beautiful batches of broccoli rabe- budding with tiny yellow flowers- caught my eye at the farmers market, and as I equate a successful broccoli rabe dish with serious garlic, Sichuan Tofu and Broccoli Rabe with Garlic Sauce was born.Fat Free Vegan.
Sichuan Tofu and Broccoli Rabe with Garlic Sauce (from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen)
1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu*
1/4 cup warm vegetable broth
1 tbsp. Shao Hsing wine, or dry sherry
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (up to one tablespoon)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons black rice vinegar (use regular rice vinegar if you don't have)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shao Hsing wine, or dry sherry
2 tablespoons agave nectar or sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon chili garlic paste (up to 2 teaspoons)
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
6 large cloves garlic, minced (up to 1 head) (I suggest using 3)
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 bunch green onions
8 fresh water chestnuts (optional)
2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved into 2 tsp. water
1 bunch broccoli rabe
Optional: honey-roasted peanuts for garnish; brown rice, additional veggies
*To prepare tofu, wrap tofu block in a two layers of paper towel and microwave for one minute. This will dry up excess liquid, allowing your marinate to permeate the block and soak up more flavor.
- Cut the tofu widthwise into 1/2-inch slices. Then cut each slice widthwise into 1/2-inch by 1 1/2-inch sticks. Put the pieces in a ziplock bag and add the vegetable broth, 1 tbsp. wine, and 1 tbsp. soy sauce. Let it marinate, turning the bag every few minutes, while you prepare the vegetables and sauce.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the vinegars, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. wine, agave nectar or sugar (optional), chili garlic paste, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the water chestnuts and cut each slice into shreds, about three pieces per slice. Slice the green onions thinly, separating the dark green tops from the light green and white parts.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with oil, and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the light-colored scallion slices, the garlic, ginger, and broccoli rabe (plus additional optional veggies) and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Spray the skillet again, and add the tofu and its marinade to the pan, making sure the tofu is in a single layer. When the marinade has evaporated, carefully turn the tofu (which should be light brown on the bottom) and cook the other side until brown. Add the green onion mixture/broccoli rabe back to the pan and cook, stirring for another minute.
- Add the water chestnuts and sauce and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch and water and simmer until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and garnish with green onion tops.